This handsome Mission Revival style building— on a hillside at the edge of the UC Berkeley Campus—was in need of a long-term improvement plan, to be implemented as funds became available. Key improvements included a new corridor detail to conceal building systems and enhance lighting, as well as renovations to dormitory rooms, restrooms, the student lounge, café, and main dining room. Exterior paint, re-roofing, waterproofing, and new landscaping completed the building’s rehabilitation, which remained occupied during the work.
Project Credit: Alexandra Sheets Saikley was project manager with preservation architecture firm Carey & Co. The building was originally designed by prominent San Francisco Architect George Kelham in 1930.Photography: Carey & Co.